The town of Calico was founded near the site of a major silver strike in 1881 and at the height of its glory claimed over 20 saloons and hundreds of nearby mines. The exact value of silver that was mined is estimated to have been between $13,000,000 and $20,000,000 by the end of the boom years. In the mid-1890ís the price of an ounce of silver dropped over half in value from what it had been in 1880. This event caused a loss of demand for silver and by the early 1900ís Calico had become a deserted ghost town.
Calico was acquired in the 1950ís by Walter Knott, owner of Knottís Berry Farm in Buena Park, California. He preserved what was left of Calico and constructed other buildings to recreate Calicoís past to serve as a tourist attraction. Mr. Knott donated Calico Ghost Town to the County of San Bernardino in 1966, and today it is part of a 480-acre County Regional Park.